Monday 10 June 2013

Welcome to Penny Pinching Pinup!

If you've found this blog, you're likely a lover of all things vintage.  And you've certainly come to the right place!  I too have a great passion for the gorgeous styles, the femininity, the sweet and delicate nature with a delightful whisp of sexuality underneath.

If you've found this blog, however, you're likely also a tightwad, a cheapskate and a skinflint.  Oooooh, did I touch a nerve?  Not likely -- people who like to save money rarely shy away from the stigmas attached to it.  But like the veritable women we regard so highly from our past, we hate to waste money on something of little or poor value.  

Stunning, yes!  Worth $500?  Not to me!
I would love to have a closet full of perfectly preserved vintage gowns, perfectly polished retro shoes, and glorious vintage jewelry.  I would love to find myself a completely restored 1950s ranch house with a delightful old black and white television playing I Love Lucy and a curvy old-time radio to hear the Adventures of Sam Spade, Detective.  I would be delighted to hire a stylist to curl my hair in beautiful pin curls and painting my lips in stunning rouge daily.  

Unfortunately, things are not in line for that to be, and they likely never will be so.  And I'm okay with that!  Instead, I am more inclined to find vintage patterns and secondhand shoes.  I'm delighted to figure out how to borrow copies of my favorite old time shows and radio programs online or at my local library.  And I am thrilled to finally figure out how to create my own perfect pin curls and make my own lipstick.

Find a copy of  a similar pattern!  Why not make it yourself?

And here's where I'll share them!  You won't find me promoting $100 makeup creams, or $2000 Chanel suits.  There are lots of other fine and beautiful vintage ladies who are happy ot share the secrets as to how to obtain those treasures.  And oh how I wish we could all have them all.  But instead, I would rather spend my time and effort figuring out how to make my own cold creams, the best way to do a Victory Roll, or find retro patterns and make my own gorgeous gowns.  

Can't make your own?  Let others make it for you!  There are wonderful artisans, seamstresses, shoemakers and beauticians who have the ability to make almost anything you need in the same style as bygone days, but like the women of those days, you will be supporting your local communities and friends!

So if you're a Penny Pinching Pinup like me, please feel free to join me!  Make it yourself, find it cheaper and  be your gorgeous vintage self on your own!  

No comments:

Post a Comment